Last week we welcomed the first day of spring. And, for those of us that are Irish (aren’t we all on March 17?) you celebrated St. Patrick’s Day. Each of these events, obviously remind us of the color green. What comes to mind when you hear the word “green”?
Some people immediately think of the environment and how we can reduce our carbon footprint. Others envision rooms full of beautiful house plants or walls painted in various shades of green. No matter what you’re thinking of, we all have our own reasons for going “green”. I’d like to share with you a few of mine.
1. Renew your body and soul by bringing live plants into your space. Choose plant combinations in several shades of green to maximize the feng shui energy and add variety. They also help improve your indoor air quality and noise level. When you introduce green into your home, look forward to these positive results:
- the color of renewal, fresh energy and new beginnings
- promotes growth and healing
- helps us to stay calm
- relieves stress, alleviates depression, nervousness and anxiety
- the color of peace
2. Old is New again With so much emphasis these days being placed on reducing clutter and simplifying our lives, many of us are packing up our “stuff” and getting rid of it. But here’s an idea to try instead of going “drastic”. Switch it up, move it to another shelf, or buy a new frame. Organize a Swap Party with your friends. My friends and I still laugh about the garage sales we’ve held that end up with our “junk” going to each other!
Before you buy something “new”, visit flea markets or antique shops for the perfect treasure. This is a great opportunity to buy, refurbish, and reuse antique and vintage furnishings in your home. And…paint it green!
3. Eco-friendly When you’re painting those flea market finds, try using a zero-VOC paint that is also odorless. In every day terms, that means no offensive odors and no fumes. Benjamin Moore (www.benjaminmoore.com) has introduced a new product called Natura. It is the greenest and safest product on the market. The best part is that it can be used with any color!