Brookhaven Master Bedroom
Master Bedroom Before the Transformation
My client purchased this existing home and was never happy with the dental molding throughout the house. With a preference for a sleek, modern look, replacing the traditional white bookcases with flutes and rosettes was the number one change to be made. The open shelves had become a clutter magnet, when what this couple really needed was more storage for clothing and linens.
Since the wet bar was never used, they also wanted this replaced with cabinetry.
What I noticed immediately in the space, and was anxious to change, was the soffit and cove built around the room. Yes, it was used to house recessed can lighting, but it also made the ceilings seem lower.
What we did:
- The white traditional bookcases and bar were replaced by smooth, sleek Shaker doors (Decora Cabinetry; Sloan door/Bombay finish).
- Polished nickel tubular cabinet pulls in sizes proportionate to the cabinets were installed. (Richelieu)
- A new fireplace wall was constructed so that everything is pulled forward and flush.
- The lower section is stacked travertine.
- The black horizontal firebox has a flame strip inside and uses ethanol to burn.
- The homeowners wanted the fireplace to be high enough to see from the bed.
- A mantel was created from cabinet material.
- This same material was used to frame the new niche for the TV and equipment
- New carpeting was installed
- Paint colors were changed
To stay with the contemporary feel, there is no crown molding around the room