You know how we all like tackle a DIY project every once in a while? Maybe we do it to save money. Maybe we do it because design TV makes it look so easy. Even though it can be fun (and sometimes stressful), there may come a time when you have one of those “What was I thinking?” moments.
As an interior designer, I often get the SOS call to fix it. What I would really love to do is help you prevent it. And so MY #1 Reason to Have a Designer On Your Team is to help you avoid costly mistakes.
These costly mistakes seem to be broken down into two categories. Let’s take a look…
Purchases your regret later because you realize you don’t like them:
- You had a “love at first site” moment and just HAD to own it
- You didn’t really love it, but had a “hole” to fill and thought it would work
- Oops! You forgot to measure.
Purchases and decisions you made because you didn’t know better or didn’t think it through:
- Appliances that will be placed against a wall and the impact that will have on opening and closing doors and drawers.
- Adding expensive new counter tops and then realizing you should have purchased new cabinets.
- Not checking the specifications of appliances to see how they will affect the cabinet.
- Buying on line,which we all do, and realizing you don’t have all the parts and pieces to finish the job correctly.
Your Design Action Steps:
1. If you’re in the “information gathering” phase of your project, remember to study everything. That means look over the plans when you have them, and check out the specifications and dimensions of each item you hope to purchase.
2. Hire an interior designer to be a part of your team. The peace of mind you’ll get from relying on someone you trust will be well worth the investment.
At Authentic Living Interiors we offer many ways to work with Randi.