I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for. – Georgia O’Keeffe
When I think of Santa Fe, I think of Pueblos and pottery. I think of art. But mostly, I think of the beautiful colors of the earth, sky, and mountains at Ghost Ranch and the surrounding area. Each time I visit, a sense of calm washes over me and I feel at home walking around looking at the turquoise and blues, the corals, purples, and tans. They remind me of Fall…my favorite time of year.
So it was no surprise to me, when we moved to our last house and I discovered that everything I unpacked was turquoise, coral, blue or tan! People who know me best could see it, but it took starting fresh…with a clean slate…to make me see it. Now I realize, that except for the years of trying to follow the latest color trends, I always seem to go back to the colors that make me happy. Maybe this is why I get so excited to decorate for Fall. It’s the time of year when everyone wants to make their home a little cozier by adding deeper, richer colors and textures.
Here’s a checklist of some favorite ways to bring the colors of Santa Fe home this Fall:
- Add a bit of nature by collecting pinecones, acorns, or wildflowers and placing them in bowls or vases.
- Visit your local craft store for dried or silk flowers to add to your favorite piece of pottery.
- Change your pillows from summer colors to fall colors and patterns.
- Mix and match your dishes by adding salad plates with beautiful Fall colors. If you’re lucky enough to find 2 or 3 patterns with the same colors, your table top will have more interest. I found a really nice collection at Pier 1, but it’s even more fun to search flea markets for the perfect plate.
- Coordinate your new dishes with colorful, Fall placemats and napkins.
- Add a textured throw to your sofa or favorite chair to snuggle in on a crisp Fall evening.
- Bring in nature’s own with heirloom pumpkins and squash. I love the new colors of heirloom pumpkins ranging from sage to deep greens, white, and deep orange.
- Remember that anything you add to your home should be more about being true to your lifestyle and budget than trying to out-decorate your friends…it’s all about Authentic Living Interiors!!!